A re-publish of the personal appeal I posted to Facebook asking for support of a new comedy festival I'm helping produce.
Dear friend, acquaintance, current or former colleague, and supporter of stand-up comedy in Aurora:
If you know me, you know I love comedy. If you know me well, you also know that I’ve never been comfortable asking for help.
In this note I’m asking for your help to launch On The Fox Comedy Festival, the first ever (that I’m aware of) comedy festival in Aurora, Illinois.
Here’s the story:
I met Matt Drufke when I was fresh into my role as the new Marketing Director at the Aurora Area CVB. I knew Matt had been doing Still Not Friday, the suburbs’ best weekly stand-up comedy showcase, at Two Brothers Roundhouse.
I walked away from our meeting with the sense that Matt was solid, trustworthy, and held an unabiding appreciation for every opportunity he’s been given to promote stand-up comedy in Aurora.
Matt and his fellow producers have made good on the opportunity given to them by their host venue for well over two years now. Every week, for two years. Think about that. The show has evolved where others might have stagnated, and has grown a loyal audience for stand-up comedy in the suburbs. No easy feat.
All of this is to say that I’m a believer in Matt Drufke.
So when Matt told me about his dream of putting on a comedy festival in Aurora, I believed he—and probably he alone—could do it. When he followed that up by asking me to join the production team, it was an easy invitation to accept.
In order to make On The Fox Fest happen, we have to prove our value to potential sponsors and venues. The best way for us to do that is to reach our goal of raising $5,000 as fast as we can.
The sooner we hit our goal, the better our prospects look for negotiating sponsorships, securing additional venues, and booking nationally recognized headliners for our main events.
Here’s what we have planned:
- A weekend in September full of excellent comedy at a collection of awesome venues in downtown Aurora, centered around Two Brothers Roundhouse.
- Lineups stacked with a carefully curated collection of the best comics from across the country.
- Excellent perks for contributing to our crowdfunding campaign.
Here’s how you can help:
- Please kick in as little as $5 (or as much as $5,000) at https://www.gofundme.com/onthefoxfest
- Spread the word: tell your friends, tell your family, tell any wealthy eccentrics you may know that possess a particular fondness for stand-up comedy.
- We want people to get excited about comedy and Aurora, and the fest is a great way for us to do both. If you have a connection to either comedy or Aurora (or both!) and you want to help us make this happen, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.